martes, 25 de agosto de 2009

Lesson Two: Todo Bien

This lesson starts off with David and Jimena doing a bit of a review from last time, going over greetings and explaining the cultural differences when asking someone how they are doing. David thinks it is a bit imposing to say, “How are you, all good?” which is the direct translation of “Que tal, todo bien?” I suppose it is true, though I had never thought of it that way. Maybe Argentinians are just happier? ☺

My dad actually watched this episode with me. He’s always had the mentality that Spanish is too hard to learn, but I told him that these were basic Spanish classes and that they weren’t like Rosetta Stone or traditional online classes—they actually keep your attention. And keep his attention they most certainly did! He was actually laughing at good deal of the time, which is a first for him during any type of Spanish class. He did say that they moved pretty fast, but I suppose if he paused and wrote down what was on the Pizarra Magica, he’d be able to study it on his own.

In the end, though, it did keep his attention and this is the best way to learn Spanish. If you hate your class or bored to tears, how will you learn?

I also really enjoyed the part where we learned how to fill out forms in Spanish. This happens all the time when Yanquis have to go to Colonia to renew our 90-day visa, deal with migraciones in Argentina, or attempt to do anything que tiene que ver con electricity, cell phone, internet, etc.
Lastly, what I enjoyed about this lesson was the when Jimena teaches David that ‘cero onda’ means something bad…not something good, like the girls in the club told him. I can’t tell you how many times I have used a term over and over, thinking it was good, only to find out that it didn’t mean what I thought it meant at all. Perfect example:


I live with an Argentine guy, and I asked him how you say roommates. He said, “Concubina.” I thought, “Oh, so we’re concubinos.” Well, I go around telling everyone that we’re concubinos, and finally when I go to have my nails done, I find out that apparently this word means that you are a couple, like common-law marriage type of thing. And no one told me this for the weeks that I went around saying I lived with my concubino?! My nail lady said that I need to sit down with him and clear this up, which I am still afraid to do, and it’s been about 4 months now. Oops.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario